We got 4 waffle machines as wedding gifts. FOUR. Needless to say, we love waffles and people know. And yes, we only kept one waffle machine.
This healthy waffle recipe is inspired from Kayla Itsines’ waffle recipe found here.
1 cup oat flour
1 cup organic whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 banana, mashed
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 pasture raised eggs
1 ½ cups milk of choice (almond, coconut, hemp, etc…)
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
Handful of berries, to garnish
- Preheat the waffle iron on medium heat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flours, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs until fluffy. Add the milk, applesauce, and vanilla. Whisk well to combine.
- Stir in the mashed banana and whisk until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir.
- Coat the waffle iron with coconut oil or Kerrygold butter.
- Carefully spoon your batter onto the pre-heated waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
- Repeat until all the batter is finished.
- Top with berries and enjoy!
Other topping options:
- A dollop of organic plain yogurt
- Pure maple syrup
- Whipped organic heavy whipping cream blended with vanilla extract
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- A variety of fruit