This healthy banana pumpkin bread recipe will leave you feeling all the Autumn vibes without the guilt of eating this for breakfast. I love this recipe, and use it all the time. It’s great in muffin form as well so you can take it on the go!
We were gifted a friend’s honey from their farm in Washington state. I kid you not there were bugs and ants mixed into it when we received it, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Bring on all the nature.
Mash the bananas in a separate bowl before adding to the mixture. I like using very overripe bananas because they are super sweet and easier to mash, but if you like less ripe more starchy banana taste – stick to that!!
Be careful to not dump all 2 cups of flour into the mix at once. Slowly add about 1/2 cup at a time and mix. The batter should become thick and doughy. Then it’s all set to bake!
While it was baking, I decided to stretch out my crazy sore muscles after Kayla Itsines’ week 6 legs kicked by butt. The foam roller is the greatest thing ever created but also a death roll made to make tears waterfall from innocent humans eyes. Overdramatic? I think not.
BANANA PUMPKIN BREAD
Makes one loaf
- 2 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 mashed overripe bananas
- 1 banana for topping (optional)
- Handful sliced almonds for topping (optional)
- 1/2 can organic pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon (each) ginger, nutmeg, and cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce and honey
- Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended
- Mix in pumpkin puree, vanilla, and spices
- Add flour (1/2 cup at a time), baking soda, and salt
- Pour batter into loaf pan either lined with parchment paper or well greased with coconut oil or Kerrygold butter
- Place banana and almonds on top of loaf (optional)
- Bake for 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center of the bread comes out clean
- Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack