There is a major, unseen hinderance to health that most people are unaware of: TOXICITY. Toxins exist everywhere, but there are simple steps to minimize their impact on your health. I have a friend who recently moved to a new house. After the move, she noticed her young daughter getting headaches, skin irritations, and becoming much more susceptible to colds and flus. She was so confused as to why her young daughter kept getting sick all of a sudden even though she was doing all the right things – eating a clean and healthy diet, getting outside and staying active, and taking her vitamins. After further research, she learned that toxic chemicals could be the cause of this sickness her daughter had been fighting. She then realized that this new house they moved into had gotten fresh paint and new carpet, both leaking copious amounts of toxins into the air. They both did a 30 day detox and after, all her daughters headaches, skin irritations, and sickness vanished. They now focus daily on increasing the body’s ability to naturally detox by eating clean and exercising. They also continue to detox periodically with this 30 day detox.
Douglas Costle, administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says that, “Of all of man’s interventions in the natural order, none is accelerating quite so alarmingly as the creation of chemical compounds….There is, however, a price to pay for an industrial society that has come to rely so heavily on chemicals: almost 35,000 of the chemicals used in the US are classified by the EPA as being either definitely or potentially harmful to human health”.
Toxicity is unavoidable:
4 billion prescriptions drugs are ingested in the US each year
70,000 chemicals are used commercially
3,000+ chemicals are added to our food supply
Are you toxic?
1.Do you store food in plastic containers?
2.Do you eat non-organic meat or dairy?
3.Do you use a microwave?
4.Do you use teflon/non stick cookware?
5.Do you drink tap water?
weight loss resistance
The EPA estimates that our homes are now 5-10 times more toxic than outdoor air. But we can do something about that. If we make simple and easy changes to the products we are using, we can decrease our toxic exposure drastically.
- lysol, clorox, 409
- CONTAIN: Lye, Ammonia, Petroleum surfactants
- Air Fresheners
- glade, febreze
- CONTAIN: Chemical Phthalates
- Dish washing Detergent
- dawn, cascade, oxiclean
- CONTAIN: Petrochemicals, Benzene, Phosphates
All of these products increase incidence of asthma and respiratory issues as well as increase rates of birth defects in newborn males (hypospadias, decreased brain development).
Toxins in Food
It takes approximately 5-8 pounds of chemically sprayed grain to produce 1 lb of beef. Therefore, you will ingest considerably more cancer causing chemicals from meat than from fruits and vegetables……you are what your food eats.
On average, one glass of inorganic, store bought milk contains the residue of about 100 different antibiotics. BUT! Good news – the Environmental Working Group updates their “clean fifteen” and “dirty dozen” list each year and you can find it here.
Personal Care Products
Survey by Campaign for Safe Cosmetics found that the average woman uses 9 personal care products daily and are exposed to over 100 different chemicals!!
- perfumes = 250-400 chemical components
- lipstick = 33 chemical components
- body lotion = 32 chemical components
- mascara = 20 chemical components
There are only 11 ingredients prohibited by the US to be used in personal care products. The European Union has banned over 1,300 ingredients. Furthermore, the US has not passed a federal law to regulate the ingredients in personal care products since 1938.
- Replace the sources
Replace the Sources
Rip it off like a band aid and rid your house of chemicals!!
- Cleaning product replacements – make your own!!! I’ve been making my own cleaning products for a long time now and it’s crazy easy and doesn’t give you that chemical head ache that most cleaners on the market give you.
- Personal care products – This is a biggie, but there is an amazing alternative for those of us who don’t want to cut out make up out of our daily routine!! Beauty Counter is an AMAZING company dedicated to putting safer products in the hands of everyone while not cutting on quality and performance!! Another option is to start adding coconut oil in your routine. Try using coconut oil as a make up remover, natural chap stick, basic lotion, or to lighten age spots.
Detoxing is crucial to fully rid the body of today’s toxins. I so wish we could just hop in a sauna and sweat them all out but in today’s world that’s just not enough. Detoxing helps to support the body’s own ability to permanently remove toxins from a cellular level. We want and need to work with the body synergistically to raise your body’s natural antioxidant and detoxifier, glutathione, which helps your body remove toxins.
Helpful and easy ways to detox
- Activated charcoal – it aDsorbs (not aBsorbs) most toxins, chemicals, and poisons through the entire length of the stomach and small and large intestines. ADsorption is the chemical reaction where elements bind to a surface. The porous surface of activated charcoal has a negative electric charge that causes positive charged toxins and gas to bond with it. It’s important to note that activated charcoal is NOT charcoal used in your barbecue grill! Barbecue charcoal is loaded with toxins and chemicals, and should never be consumed.
- Milk thistle supplements – draws toxins out of the body’s, helps fight free radicals, slow the aging process, and is a natural liver supporter and detoxifier.
- Increase glutathione – glutathione is a peptide in the body that is our body’s main detoxifier. Ways to increase your glutathione levels include eating more cruciferous vegetables like brussel sprouts, cabbage, and arugula.